Thursday, June 2, 2011

Iron-Style Beans

Here is the first of what I hope becomes many "Iron-Style" recipes posted here on the Polymouth.  "Iron-Style" meaning I basically just made something up, and it ended up good enough that I would like to make it again.  I usually eyeball ingredients when I'm in the kitchen, so be sure to taste often to make sure nothing is too out of whack, but I will try to estimate as close as possible.

A week or so ago the weather was nice enough to get the BBQ going.  So we got some sausages, grilled some corn on the cob and potatoes, and I came up with a twist on baked beans.  They are creamy, sweet, and with just the right amount of kick to keep things interesting.

Ingredients:
2, 15 oz. cans of Beans (I used Cannellini but Pinto, or Black Beans will work too)
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Vinegar (Apple Cider Preferred)
2 oz. Packet of Ranch Seasoning Mix
1-2 Tbsp Hot Horseradish
1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

  1. Warm brown sugar and vinegar in a pot over medium high heat.  Once the sugar and vinegar are blended and smooth add both cans of beans.
  2. After about 5 minutes add the ranch packet, horseradish (1 or 2 Tbsps depending on how much kick you want), and cumin and stir in evenly.
  3. As soon as the mixture begins to boil it is ready, add salt and pepper if needed.
I plan on making this again for our next BBQ, I'm thinking of adding Bacon or Pancetta, and Garlic, and maybe some Italian Parsley for garnish.  This one is a work in progress, and any feedback is much appreciated.  Give it a shot and let me know how it goes....
Print Friendly and PDFPrintPrint Friendly and PDFPDF

1 comment: