Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Cousin's B-Day Mix 2011

Since the last mix I put up here was from years gone by, I figured I should put up a more recent edition.  My cousin and I are about 16 months apart in age, and while we are very different on several levels, we sort of have our own short hand much like sibling, and one thing we usually agree upon is tunes.  Every now and then he asks for me to make up a mix of music for him, and it has become a nearly annual tradition for me to give him a mix for his birthday.

Here is the latest iteration, I think its a fun blend of some new stuff and some gems from the past.  It also has a good balance between very very chill stuff, and some more up-tempo-get-out-of-your-seat-and-shake-it jams.  But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself and let me know what you think...

(also if you see my cousin don't tell him you saw this because I give him his birthday mixes without a playlist so he has to do some sleuthing and learn more about the bands on the mix.  But for you, I included links to info on all of the bands)

(song-band-album)

  1. Two Weeks- Grizzly Bear- Veckatimest
  2. Wordless Chorus- My Morning Jacket- Z
  3. Hang On- Dr. Dog- Fate
  4. I Gotta Woman- Toots & The Maytals- Light Your Light
  5. Rosetta Stone- Bombadil- A Buzz, a Buzz
  6. Sailing to Nowhere- Broken Bells- Broken Bells
  7. Cubism Dream- Local Natives- Gorilla Manor
  8. Thistled Spring- Horse Feathers- Thistled Spring
  9. The Black Roses- Codeine Velvet Club- Codiene Velvet Club
  10. Dirty Cartoons- Menomena- Mines
  11. Ragged Wood- Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes
  12. Hotel Yorba- The White Stripes- White Blood Cells
  13. A Good Man is Easy to Kill- Beulah- The Coast is Never Clear
  14. Weekend Wars- MGMT- Oracular Spectacular
  15. Say Hello- Stars of Track and Field- Centuries Before Love and War
  16. Don't Look Away- The Helio Sequence- Love and Distance
  17. Hannah- Freelance Whales- Weathervanes
  18. Daylight- Matt & Kim- Grand
A couple final notes- My Morning Jacket just had a real cool set on VH1 Storytellers; Toots & The Maytals is playing at the Washington Park Rose Garden Amphitheater on the 4th of July (just a few weeks from the time of this post, buy tixx here); The Polymouth is still mourning the breakup of The White Stripes, say it ain't so Jack and Meg; and as always stop piracy and BUY THE MUSIC!

Print Friendly and PDFPrintPrint Friendly and PDFPDF

No comments:

Post a Comment